Lead based paint abatement is important in order to remove this hazard from homes and the work place. Many structures build before 1950 and some built as late as 1978 contain heavily leaded paint. As this paint ages tiny pieces may peel or chip off and can be dangerous if ingested. Lead paint in good condition is not usually dangerous unless it is in places that rub together creating dust, such as a window that is opened and closed repeatedly.
Lead and lead compounds have been used in a wide variety of products found in and around our homes, including paint, ceramics, pipes and plumbing materials, solders, gasoline, batteries, ammunition, and cosmetics. Lead can affect almost every organ and system in your body. Children six years old and younger are most susceptible to the effects of lead. Children and others may be exposed to lead by inhaling lead dust from lead-based paint or lead-contaminated soil or from playing with toys with lead paint.
Side effects of lead paint include: reproductive problems in adults, and in children: nervous system damage, kidney damage and delayed development. Lead paint was deemed hazardous and outlawed in the United States in 1977. Because of the health problems associated with lead paint, older buildings should be tested for its presence. Be sure to hire a licensed professional contractor to perform the testing and subsequent removal should it be necessary.